Food Importer Registration System (FIRS)
Lets learn about Food Importer Registration System (FIRS). The Federal Tax Authority (FTA) in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) requires businesses to register for the Federal Tax Authority (FTA) Value Added Tax (VAT) if their annual turnover exceeds the mandatory registration threshold of AED 375,000.
Similarly, businesses must also register with the Dubai Municipality for the issuance of a Food Control System (FCS) card and a FIRS card if they are involved in the food industry, including food importers, manufacturers, processors, and traders.
In this blog post, we will focus on the FIRS card issued by the Dubai Municipality.
What is Food Importer Registration System (FIRS)?
FIRS stands for Food Importer Registration System. The Dubai Municipality established FIRS to regulate the importation of food into Dubai. FIRS is a mandatory registration system for food importers, and it helps the Dubai Municipality ensure that all imported food products meet the health and safety requirements of Dubai.
FIRS Registration Process
The FIRS registration process involves the following steps:
- Submission of Documents Food importers must submit the following documents to the Dubai Municipality to initiate the FIRS registration process:
• Company trade license
• Passport copies of the company owner/partners
• Emirates ID of the company owner/partners
• Food safety management system certificate
•HACCP certificate (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points)
• Health certificate from the country of origin
• Invoice or bill of lading of the last shipment
• Certificate of analysis of the last shipment
Inspection After the documents are submitted. The Dubai Municipality will conduct a physical inspection of the importer’s warehouse or storage facility. It ensure that it meets the necessary health and safety standards.
FIRS Card Issuance Once the inspection is complete, the Dubai Municipality will issue the FIRS card to the food importer. The FIRS card is valid for one year and must be renewed annually.
Benefits of FIRS Registration
FIRS registration offers several benefits to food importers, including:
• Compliance with Dubai Municipality regulations
• Improved food safety and quality control measures
• Access to the Dubai Municipality’s online portal for managing food import permits
• Streamlined customs clearance procedures
• Enhanced credibility with customers and suppliers
In conclusion, FIRS registration is a mandatory requirement for food importers in Dubai. it helps the Dubai Municipality regulate the importation of food into Dubai. It ensure that all imported food products meet the health and safety requirements of Dubai. Food importers who register with FIRS enjoy several benefits. It includes compliance with Dubai Municipality regulations, improved food safety and quality control measures, and streamlined customs clearance procedures.